Monday, September 1, 2008

The End of an Era

OK, many of you will think this hardly constitutes the end of an era, but the comic strip "For Better or For Worse" www.fbofw.com has concluded. It has been going for some 29 years and chronicled the lives of a family in Toronto Canada. Unlike most comic strips, the characters aged in a lifelike manner so I could follow the children (who were only slightly younger than me) through their lives, and they often seemed like extra friends. (I heard on the radio once that people sometimes overestimated the number of friends they had because they counted Ross, Monica, Joey, Chandler, Rachel, and Phoebe from the TV show friends. I was guilty of the same thing but by counting the fbofw characters.) According to the synopsis in yesterday's strip, she probably had enough material to keep it going for several years or more. I'm sad to see it go as I always looked to it for at least one daily smile. It will be running reworked repeats though so I guess it will just be fun to watch Michael and Elizabeth grow up again.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Michael and I actually share the same birthday.