Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Project!! The Long Beach Boat Parade, Help Needed

I'd like to enter my boat in the Long Beach Boat Parade this Christmas. I just have to figure out how. There are a lot of small boats in the parade, in fact there have to be to go around the small island in Naples, so that isn't the problem. The problems are




  1. How will I propel it? It is a sailboat and under sail power it can't stay in a nice straight line. Besides the parade is at night and the wind will have died down by then. A small trawler moter ought to work. They cost about $100, but maybe I can get one off of Craigslist, or better yet, borrow one for the night. (I'd need a battery too, so maybe I could borrow that.) Otherwise, we could move it with the small oars I have, or get new ones, but that is a lot of rowing for a boat not built for it.
  2. How will I light it. Again, I'd need batteries for that. LED lights would last longer on battery power but would be more expensive to purchase. I might need an inverter to ramp the voltage up too. What would happen if we capsized? Would it short at the battery or at the high voltage end. Or is there a safety device. (Acording to what I've read, lots of people use 120 V lights.)
  3. If I want to go on the small boat inner loop, I'll have to lower the mast. I could just leave the mast off, but it would be the prettiest thing lit up and lowering it shouldn't be that bad. Or I could just stay on the outside loop. (Come to think of it, leaving the mast off is harder than I thought.)

So if ANYONE has any ideas, or any of the necessaries (old strings of lights for example, I'm looking for the cheesy colorful ones so if you switched to the classier whites your old ones would be great), please let me know.

No comments: