Friday, September 5, 2008

Movie Review: The Dark Knight

HOLY @$#* !!!!!!!!!!!!!

We got out of the movie almost an hour ago and I'm still shaking. This may be the best movie I have ever seen. (Maybe not, but seriously, this is a contender.) Everything I had heard about Heath Ledger's Joker and all the other perfomances was spot on.

The joker seems to be the one that is always in control. Even when he is losing you never know if he has another trick up his sleeve. Honestly, even in the end I didn't think it was completely clear that he wouldn't show up again.

It is VERY dark and frightening. Even when you know who wins in the end and who loses the suspense is still there. (And sometimes what you thought you knew doesn't turn out to be true.)

It was certainly a thrill ride and well worth the time spent on it. (We used some free tickets from donating blood or something like that so I can't say it was worth the price, but it would have been.) I'm glad I saw it in the theater and almost wish I had seen it in an IMAX theater. That said, no I don't want to see it in a theater again. The next time I'll be perfectly happy to watch it on a small screen with the lights turned on.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

From Steve:
Lisa and I we also very impressed with the movie. This one and the previous one have done wonders for the Batman series.
We've liked Christian Bale for a while, seeing him in movies like American Psycho and Equilibrium, me for his skill and Lisa for his . . . presence. And he seems to have an almost unhealthy dedication to his craft (check out The Machinist).
First saw Aaron Eckhart in Thank You for Smoking, and thought he was quite charismatic (again Lisa liked his onscreen presence). So he was a plus for the movie casting.
When we first heard Heath Ledger was going to be the Joker we were both skeptical. I'm picturing Knight's Tale and 10 Things I Hate About You. But when I first saw the picture of him in make-up I was immediately convinced.
It’s truly a shame he wont be making any more movies, but I would say this was definitely his most impressive role. Brokeback was good but another actor could have done his part. After seeing Ledger as the Joker I’m not sure anyone could have done a better job.


PS. See, I catch your blog too, Lee