Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Old Ditch on Atherton

They have been doing a lot of work on the open ditch across the street from our Church building. Several months ago they anounced that it would be covered up. I was reasonably pleased because it is an eyesore and can smell. However, we don't live all that close to it so I wasn't terribly concerned one way or another. Besides it would take a way a place for skaters to hang out. (OK, I'm of mixed feelings about that one.)





Here's what it used to look like. (Sorry I didn't figure out how to download just the picture.)

Old View

Then for several months the street was half blocked off so they could come in with the giant earth movers and pipes 3 feet in diameter to place the drainage safely underground. I wish I had a picture of that, but I never bothered.

Once the large work was done I expected them to quickly put up a drab barrier and be done with it. Instead the work dragged on and some stonework seemed to go in slowly. Then today they transformed it to a beautiful display of what look to be native (or at least climate appropriate) plants. I think it is beautiful and I am thoroughly impressed.



















Good work Long Beach on a job well done.

1 comment:

ditchboy said...

Thanks for your nice comments, and we're glad you like the results. You might want to check out www.athertonditch.com for the complete chronology of the project. The "Construction News" has construction photos, and the "Links" page has vintage skateboarding videos and news stories. Phase II of the project will cover the ditch to the west of Palo Verde.