Thursday, November 6, 2008

Where's My Application?

I thought a long time ago that a good way to assign congresional districts would be to require that they each have the same population and then minimize the length of the boundaries. In essense this would push the districts into the most square shapes possible and make them geographically localized. For example, Dana Rohrbacher's district stretches along the Southern Califoria coast from Palos Verdes to Hunington Beach, which in my mind is clearly Gerrymandered to be a safe republican seat. (Though Debbie Cook gave him a good run for his money this time.) This would not stand up in my system because the long boundary would be intollerable.

Until yesterday the idea that I could ever advance this idea to anywhere that it might make a difference was unthinkable. Now with the passage of proposition 11 it is only preposterous. I know it is just for state legislature districts, but the idea is the same. So I really do want to apply for the citizens panel and try to promote this idea. I don't think I'm very likely to be chosen, but what can it hurt to apply.

I'm also wondering if I should reregister to drop my party affiliation. I believe my approach is very non-partisan so I would like to be one of the independent panel members.

So the real question is: How do I apply?

No comments: